Friday 9 January 2009

Movie Introduction Sequence task

I start the first few shots by trying to give the audience of a feeling of a living breathing city. I recreate the hustle and bustle of a city by having the first shot showing a busy street with several people walking in it. This immediately sets the scene of the film.

I decided very near the beginning of the production that I was going to use this music as I was looking to have a classic cop show type look to it. Which I think turned out quite well. The music fits nicely.

Using the beat of the music as a timing indication (to keep with by busy theme) I cut to several high shots of the city, setting the location. I didn't want to use the Statue of Liberty as a setting as I felt that this was a little too obvious, and for that reason, a bit tacky.

As the music starts to heat up I return to the first shot (A bit further down the time-line) and lower in the words 'AnarchyFlow Presents'. AnarchyFlow being the name of my made up company. It comes down from the top of the shot in a classic (slightly cheesy) old cop style film. To add some variety, the words then shoot off to the left.

I then move to one of my favourie shots of the intro. It is a shot between two buildings with the sun creating a glow on the camera lense. This is the only point that I change the colour of the text. It turns black, so it can be more easily read by the viewer against the light backdrop. I used James and Dave's company names as my production company names. As the sunlight comes in it illuminates the words more adding a nice effect.

Then as the music reaches a short break, I snap to a long shot again, there are no credits in this, to create tension. The camera pans just passed a sky-scraper in a very cliché way.

Then just as the music reaches its most dramatic, it cuts to a shot on street level looking up at the sky and a building. I chose this shot so as it looks like the audience is looking up at the text which then comes onto the screen. The text is the title of the film, so it creates the effect of the people looking up in awe at the film.

I add to the dramatic effect by having that swept away by the name of my leading role, which seemingly pushes the title off the screen (in an ever so dramatic fasion).

It then cuts back to a different shot, also on ground level, inside a building. It shows people opening a rotating door, adding to the business and hastey atmosphere that I've tried to create. The second name of my actors is in the bottom left corner moving erratically then finally sliding into place to the left of the screen.

Then, possibly my favourite shot, is of a city street (consisting of mainly cars). It pans to the left revealing more of the buildings and street. As it pans, the credit stays in generally the same position on the screen.

Then it cuts to a simple pan shot with static text. This was to lower the hype again, as most films don't start to dramatically, the credits usually slow down before they end if the have been as dramatic as so they need to do so. So when the film starts (slowly) they aren't let down by the build up of tension failing them.

The final shot is a slanted shot of a skyscraper. I placed the credits slanted as well, so it seems that they are sitting on the building, again, they remain still. The music ends and the image fades out.

No comments: